Tuesday, December 2, 2014

The List Phenomenon



“8 Beers You Should Stop Drinking Immediately”

“11 Things You Didn’t Know About Lucky Charms”

“3 Reasons to Never Open a Bank Account”

“7 Reasons to Never Drink Bottled Water Again”

“Top Ten Reasons Why Bottled Water is a Blessing”

“7 Evidence Based Health Reasons to Eat Meat”

“10 Reasons to Stop Eating Meat”

“6 Reasons to Use Organic Makeup”

Are any of you as tired of these lists as I am?  They are everywhere!  And for the most part, the content in these articles are mostly the opinions of the authors or bloggers, loaded with “facts” that can be otherwise contradicted by anyone with a smidgen of knowledge on the subject.  In doing just five minutes of research, I have found that for every article that tells us not to do something, there is an equally compelling article telling us why we should.

I don’t see the point in the scare tactics that these list based articles contain.  People make choices on a daily basis that may or may not be the best thing for them.   And by now, due to the increasing amount of these articles making their way around social media outlets like wildfire, everyone and their mother is aware of the chemicals that are used in a large portion of our consumables.  I am not debating the accuracy of these claims.  I am just questioning whether or not these things need to be used to deter people from making their own choices. 

Two of the most recent articles that I find most entertaining are the “8 Beers You Should Stop Drinking Immediately” and the“11 Things You Didn’t Know About Lucky Charms”. 
I think the beer one is particularly funny.  Chances are that if you are an avid beer drinker, you probably don’t care all that much about ingredients or which is the healthiest beer for you.  Rather, I would imagine that your primary care is cracking open your favorite beer and enjoying the taste while unwinding from the pitfalls of your day.  Most beer drinkers I have encountered are also pretty loyal to their brand, regardless of what’s in it.  And I think that this is okay.  I don’t feel the need to go to my nearest watering hole and shame the beer drinkers into drinking a healthier beer.  I think they deserve to make whatever choices they want to make.

As for the Lucky Charms paint thinner claims, to my knowledge, no one has perished from consuming a bowl of Lucky Charms.  I agree that there are definitely healthier cereals out there, but I disagree with trying to persuade people to change cereals (or anything), especially if everything in that article is not factual.

Those of you who know me know that I am a pretty healthy chick.  So, it’s not like I am against a healthy lifestyle.  I guess what I am against is people trying to tell me (in list format) what their idea of health is for me.   What works for you and your family may not work for me and mine.  So, I have a request.  You do you.  I’ll do me.  And I’ll bet that this will work out just fine for us both.
And here’s my unsolicited advice:  do your own research, educate yourselves on BOTH sides of every story and reach your own conclusions.  Make the decisions that you feel are best for you and your family.  And for Pete’s sake, stop reading and making these decisions based on these asinine lists.

And now, if you'll excuse me, I’m going to go have a beer with a side of Lucky Charms.